Sanaei St.-Kish Island
Post code: 79417-83775
b) Tehran office
1st floor- no. 143- next to 29th St.-Khaled Eslambooli St.-Tehran
Post code: 15166-13313
P.O.Box : 19395-4588
Phone & Fax: 00982188771060 00982188771062 00982188771063
2) Geographical Location
Kish Island has a surface area of 90 square kilometers, with an outer boundary of 40kms, and a nearly elliptical shape. It is located in the Persian Gulf 19kms from mainland Iran. The Island is positioned along the 1359km long Iranian coastline north of the Persian Gulf, at the first quarter from the hormuz entrance to the Gulf. Its longitudinal and latitudinal positions are 2632 and 53.58 degrees respectively. The Island is 15.45kms long from west coast to the east coast. Its maximum width extending from the southern shorelines to the northern shorelines is 7.5kms. The island’s surface is flat, lacking mountains or even high hills.
3) Historic Background
Some references have already been made to the islands origin and natural history. But not much reliable and written material is found concerning its ancient social history. There must have certainly been left somewhere written account or other evidence about this island which might have been destroyed by foreign enemies who invaded the island. It must have been invaded often and rule by alien forces. But Kish Island in the Persian Gulf has remaind, like other island such as Qeshm and Hormuz is an integral part of the safety reasons, not far from the coastlines, Kish was frequently used as a port of call by the ancient mariners who got drinking water and other necessities from the islanders. Kish island’s strategic position served as a way station and link for the ancient Assyrian and Elamite civilization when their primitive sailboats navigated from Susa through Karoun river into the Persian Gulf and along the southern coastline passing kish, Qeshm and Hormoz islands.Kish was, in particular, economically and politically linked with the civilization of the Medes and Persian and Arian people when they were in the height of their power. And when this civilization vanished, the Kish Island’s advantageous position was lost and for a period was subjected to turmoil and tyrannical of the local potentates and other venders. With the establishment of the Achaemenian emirs that reached the far concerns of the civilized world and contributed much to human advancemece he Persian Gulf was profoundly affected. In the shadow of the empire, the islands in the Gulf became prosperous and navigations in the gulf was expanded and better vessels were used to carry passengers and goods. Navigational signs, including lighthouses, were set up to facilities navigation in the gulf. Because of its proximity to the mainland Persia, Kish Island resumed its advantageous position and enjoyed many benefits until the end of the Ashkanid (the Parthians) and Sassanid empires.
4) Historic Monument and Ancient Centers
i. The Ancient Town of Harireh
ii. Greek Ship
iii. Grand Recreational Pier
iv. Kish Mosques
v. Green Tree Complex
vi. Dolphin Park Complex
vii. Bird Garden
viii. Kariz underground city
xi. Artists’ Path
xii. Kish Sea Turtles
xiii. Kish Buggy Track
5) Tourism Attraction
The coral beaches of Kish sparkle in the sunlight. This is something, which the sandy beaches of many resort areas around the world do not offer. The seawater near the beach is crystal clear and one can see the bottom of the sea up to a far distance. This is, of course, due to the corals around the island, which purify the water. Relative to its area, Kish has one of the longest beach stretches. Unlike the crowded beaches elsewhere, the beach here is a relaxing and peaceful place. The fish and other marine life in the coastal waters of Kish are very unique. Visitors lose track of time when watching these species which are easily visible. At the same time, the best quality edible fish is caught here. The coastal waters of Kish are among the safest in the world. There are no sharks and swimming is totally safe. Tourists can use this beach and enjoy the sun and water all year round.
6) Training and Educational Centers
As the best educational complex on the island, Kish International University has expanded its activities by building a university campus. Its activities include:
– Expanding its postgraduate courses
– Expanding cooperation with internal and external creditable universities in order to train manpower
– Expanding scientific relations with world scientific centres
– Using the scientific-research capabilities of the university to resolve regional requirements for expertise
– Sharif University branch in Kish beginning its activities by accepting students in the fields of IT and Mechatronics, and Civil engineering
– Signing a contract with the Malaysian Multimedia University to enroll students for the MBA course
– Kish-Monash University joint undergraduate programme – enrolment through special entrance exams
Due to the need for the development of educational activities related to applied sciences, apart from Kish University, Kish Centre for Applied Sciences began work in 2002 with KFZO orchestration. This educational complex has an active presence and is accepting enrolments in the fields needed in the region, ie travel agents, tourism, hotel management, computer, and foreign languages.
Other creditable international universities in Kish include:
-University of Tehran Kish Int. Campus
– Tehran University of Medical Sciences Kish Int. Campus
– Shiraz University of Medical Sciences Kish Int. Campus
Telephones are used 100% in Kish, and at the rate of 19% as compared to rest of the country, this is a high percentage. There are also over 5000 mobile numbers issued. KFZO has been active in this field by transferring mobiles to the private sector and preparing this zone to become an internet city.
Economic and commercial development
Considering the free zone potentials in cooperating with other countries in the region and investment opportunities, KFZO has had the following economic development plans:
Establishing a regional goods and services exchange center
The presence of large international oil and gas companies to support South Pars and Asalouyeh activities, and the transfer of the offices of the Oil Ministry from abroad have created the background for establishing an oil exchange market in Kish. Furthermore, the decorative and gem stones stock exchange and software and hardware are also being processed by the organization.
Over 100 production companies are currently active in Kish, and 120 units are being constructed. By the end of 2002, industrial investment was estimated at 1552 billion and 534 million Rials. This sector had a 500% growth in the past year.
Establishing and expanding banking and monetary institutes
The activities of the country’s first private insurance companies in KFZ, foreign exchange facilities and transfers by all the banks in Kish, receiving proposals from foreign and Iranian banks, and receiving the final approval for Iran-Europe Bank branches to work in KFZ are some of the successes of the organisation in developing the monetary units and banks.
As a tourist center in the country, Kish has over one million Iranian and over 100 thousand foreign visitors annually. Developing tourism and observing world standards in giving high quality services have made Kish a replacement itinerary for Iranians traveling abroad, thus saving over 500 million dollars in foreign currency. Also, the long term programmes of the regional officials have opened horizons for an increasing number of foreign tourists, including the Persian Gulf states and Europe.
Providing tourism facilities
Encouraging the private sector to develop hotels, motels, villas, and recreation centers have led to the exploitation of 58 residential units and nearly 80 guest centers in Kish. Also, interest in large investments in this sector have led to the construction of one of the largest hotels in the region and the dolphinarium by an Iranian resident abroad, and also designs for the construction of several hotels, golf courses, and leisure centers by French and German investors known as the Flower of the East Project.
Expanding tourist attractions – Kariz and Harireh
Expanding sports fields for internal and international competitions, attracting investment for the expansion of marine sports, and the construction of unique complexes such and the Kish Kariz, along with the attractive ancient city of Harireh, and the Kish sunset can increase motives for traveling to this beautiful island.
New patterns for tourism focused on increasing convenience for families
To have peace of mind and better tourist facilities for hoteliers and their employees, tours, public transport drivers, the police, and all those involved in the tourist industry, special training courses are run by experienced trainers at international standard levels and certificates are awarded. Therefore, all these centres will be able to be economically active in Kish by holding this certificate.
8) Investment Attraction and Opportunities
1. 20 years of tax exemption for any kind of economic activity.
2. No entry visa requirement.
3. 100% foreign ownership
4. Legal guarantees and protection for foreign investment.
5. No limitations on transfer of foreign currency to other Iranian Free Zones or to other countries.
6. Flexible monetary and banking services.
7- Wide range of banking & insurance services provided by state/ private sectors.
8. Easy foreign exchange transactions.
9. Active international stock exchange and oil & petrochemical bourse.
10. Exemption from customs duty on imported raw materials and machineries for the manufacturing units.
11. Convenient and easy registration of companies, industrial establishments, cultural institutes and intellectual property rights.
12. Simple procedure for re- export and transit of goods.
13. Simple regulation for the importation of permissible goods.
14. Possibility of exporting goods produced in Kish Island into the mainland based on the value added scheme.
15. Sale/rent of land to Iranians and long term rent of land to foreign nationals.
16. Simple labor regulations and access to ample skilled workforce.
17. Reasonable rates for energy.
18. Presence of a community of leading universities and scientific centers.
19. Strategic location and proximity to Assaluyeh oil-rich regions.
20. Port with berthing capacity for 10000 dwt vessels.
21. Preferential land rates for the construction of Hi- tech industrial units.
22. Preferential land rates for the construction of hotels and recreational facilities. International brand hotels will enjoy additional privileges.
9) Trade and Transit
Kish Island is located on the most important international sea trade routes in the Persian Gulf and at the centre of the largest market in the region. Therefore, investing in Kish for the transfer of goods and services to other parts of the Persian Gulf is well justified. Moreover, suitable hardware and software facilities and the expansion of trade and financial facilities in the region have created good opportunities for the development of commercial activities in the region. Modern shopping and services centres, the harbour, the strategic position of Kish (easy access to production and consumer markets), providing legal and potential facilities to create and expand monetary and financial institutions, and the good and services exchange markets have all in all created a remarkable capacity for trade in the region. Also, one of the policies for the development of the region is the expansion of trading and commercial services. According to adopted guidelines, numerous exhibitions are staged in Kish annually.
1. Obtaining a commercial activity permit
2. Obtaining a commercial card
FAR law firm